The Sandiacre Male Voice Choir is 98 years old this year, having been founded in 1920.
Sandiacre Male Voice Choir was founded in May 1920 when a group of gentlemen – with a passion for singing – met in Clowes Methodist Church, Butt Street to discuss the formation of a male choral group. Within two years the group had grown to around thirty, and was practicing each week in the White Lion public house. Singing part-songs and choruses, both sacred and secular, the choir soon moved to new premises – the Ladycroft School in Victoria Street, which remained its home for many years. In 2014 the choir returned to Butt Street methodist church, where it practices today.
In the early years there was a tradition of sons following fathers into the choir, and also a number of members achieving long service of 40 years. There have been only five conductors since formation; Horace Wagg wielding the baton for 49 of those years, Peter Barber for 41 years, and most recently in 2012, Stuart Graham took up the position of Director of Music.
The number of choir members has fluctuated from a peak of forty, to less than thirty between 1930 and 1950. Although the choir continued to exist during the war years, meetings were suspended and recommenced in 1946. Membership currently hovers at around thirty, but the choir always enjoys welcoming new members, trained or just enthusiastic.
The choir meets on Monday evenings, at Butt Street Methodist Church, practicing from 7:15 to 9pm. The practice covers a wide range of secular and spiritual choral music. For any information, to book, or join, please contact our secretary Anthony Taylor on 01158 778 669.
The choir’s motto is “Philanthropy and Harmony” which for the past six decades has raised a considerable amount of money by promoting and delivering converts for the benefit of worth causes and charities, both local and national.